Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Sulfur or Aluminum Sulfate in Bulk?

Posted by travelergt4 z7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 0:21

I'm making a giant moss lawn (4000 square feet - cross your fingers) and need to get the PH right. Hence I need a source for powdered sulfur or aluminum sulfate in bulk (the local nurseries only sell it in 5lb bags). At the dreaded Home Depot and Lowes, no one knew if they carried it or not - standard help there. I'm in Georgia and would love a local source but will order it if I have to - but am worried about Big Brother thinking I'm building an explosive or something when I buy a 50lb bag of aluminum sulfate ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Sulfur or Aluminum Sulfate in Bulk?

When I needed large quantities of fertilizers and whatnot, I used Hummert (www.hummert.com, if I recall correctly). I don't know offhand if they had sulphur or aluminum sulfate, but they had the widest selection of stuff I could find at the time. Haven't had FBI pop up at my door, either. :-)

Patrick Alexander

o

Check with a local Farm Supply or Feed & Seed store. They should carry one or both or ask a local nursery to order the quanity you need. Some will include special orders with their regular stock orders. My supplier has both in 50 lb. bags, but only carries Aluminum sulfate in granular form. They sell only to the trade and have a hefty minimum purchase requirement. I haven't heard that Aluminum sulfate is consided an explosive. I believe that a permit would be required to purchase it, if that were true. Of course, many substances in powdered form(even flour) will explode if the right conditios are met.
Rb

o

Aluminium sulfate is a fast acting short term acidifier. Elemental sulfur is a longer lasting, slow release acidifer. I think that if you have an Agway store near you, they should be able to get you either. I use a company called Ohio Earth foods and they usually carry all kinds of ammendments. If you get a 200 pound order, you save some on shipping costs.

o

50# bags of Aluminum Sulphate is very common at nursers for about $25.00, and at places like Lowe's and Walmart in smaller quantiles. The Aluminum Sulphate is not explosive, you are thinking of Sodium Nitrate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here