Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_dandy_gw

Will Cinnamon Fern Take Over?

jim_dandy
18 years ago

My Mom has a cinnamon fern that was well behaved for about two years but this year it's coming up in 7 diffrent places. It seems to be spreading with long runners similar to lily of the valley . I had thought of taking one for my garden but I don't want somthing that will take over an entire bed. Has anyone had experience with them?

Comments (8)

• chelone
    18 years ago

I have natural "field" of them next to our home. They were here before we built our home and doubtless, they'll be here when we're gone. I adore them. And am presently struggling to put together a comprehensive plan to relocate what we consider to be one of the "crown jewels" of our property.

I know what you mean about the "runners". The ones in the site I referenced above are long, and like industrial strength Brillo pads. I cannot speak to their aggressiveness in a garden setting, but can tell you that left to their own devices in a site they like, they colonize readily and only the early spring bulbs can coexist with them (native Lily of the Valley, "trout lilies", and Lady Slippers). Very few "weeds" gain any sort of foothold.

I will be interested to see what others write with respect to your question.

• myst33
    18 years ago

Well, kinda, yeah lol. I had ONE when I bought this house in the front of the house, got morning sun. Then I bought a soaker hose and the thing went amuck. Now I have three, they are gorgeous, HUGE, really a show stopper. I love them
    To keep them in line I just stop watering them around mid summer. I have amaryllis planted in same bed and they are also multiplying and growing, so they co exist just fine. Thought about thinning them, but didnt have industrial strength equipment to try and divide.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Quote:Thought about thinning them, but didnt have industrial strength equipment to try and divide.

Please tell me you are joking! You need "equiptment" to divide ferns???? Is it that difficult? I'm just learning about ferns so if you were joking please tell me so I'm not going to get paranoid I will wake up with ferns coming through my front door.

Barb
    Ontario, CANADA

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Some ferns (like those in the osmunda family) have a very dense mat of fibrous roots. Put a bunch of them together and it may be hard to dig them out.

But that root structure is not the norm for ferns and most ferns are not as aggressive.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Oh, thank you. A but smarter about ferns now but still embarassed ;o)

I have Royal Ferns (3) just on the edge of my little woodland backyard and have just purchased 3 tiny little cinnamon ferns that I've not yet planted.

In fact, I was just about to ask for some help as to where to plant them.

My woods is quite dense with heavy shade except for the edge which is more "dappled" shade as it's on the north edge. My soil is dry so I have to "simulate" the appropriate soil conditions for most of my plants and ferns by adding humous and doing a LOT of extra watering. I have some low depressions as well where ferns do better and with the added humous the soil holds the water a bit better.

Can you recommend the right place to put my 3 little cinnamon ferns? I want to get the into the ground quickly while they are still small but don't want to put them in the wrong place.

Regards,

Barb
    Southern Ontario, CANADA Zone 6a

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Cinnamon ferns do well in moist places, but they can tolerate drier conditions. If they do not get the moisture they need, they may go dormant early (but will return next year).

They are related to Royal fern and would do well in similar conditions. If you end up creating a pond or bog garden sometime, they would do well there. Also, next to an air conditioning unit that weeps condensation.

The more moisture they get, the more sun they can tolerate also.

Bottom line, you know your site best, but I would go for the wettest spot you have.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Thanks, that's most helpful and BTW.. I meant a "BIT" smarter, not a "BUT" smarter (that would be a "smart-@ss") *wink wink*

Barb

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

I have planted 3 Cinnamon Ferns in the general area of my Royal ferns and will just keep both varieties in check. I'm going to my first ever plant swap this weekend so if the two osmunda types start spreading too much I can always use them in swaps and trades with friends and neighbors. There are also empty lots all around our property so I don't mind putting them in there too just to keep the invasive stuff from being bullies to the nice plants.

Thanks for your help.

Barb