Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morel growing near my peony bush?!

Posted by Sugarplums 5-7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 4:58

Today I noticed a little mushroom growing beside a newly transplanted peony bush I moved last fall. Could this be a morel? Perhaps the soil or mulch I used had spores?

If it is a morel, is there any way I can get it to propagate? When's a good time to harvest it?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morel growing near my peony bush?!

I'd say yes, morel. Morels are pretty easy to identify because really, the only thing they can be confused with is Gyromitra esculenta, the false morel. Of course, there are different "flavors" of morel.

Many would say you're crazy lucky, as woodland morel patches are closely guarded secrets.

My guess is that it came with your mulch. I've noticed a lot of "alien" mushrooms in the mulch near work. They fruit and then are usually never seen again, AFAIK, because this isn't the climate for them. I actually wonder whether we're not introducing inappropriate species with our "foreign" mulch, but that's another issue.

Their favorite things are floods and fires. I don't recommend applying either to your garden. :-D But what they like about fires is ash, so if you have BBQ or fireplace ash, sprinkle some on it. He'd also appreciate shade. Most importantly, don't disturb it. If you wreck the mycelium, it might not recover. I'd recommend leaving this one be, if he's a lone specimen. When picking them wild, it's always best to leave some, so if you've only got the one, he should be allowed to set spores and do his thing.

In truth, as it's growing "wild" from imported mulch (I assume), it may or may not "take" long term. Do they grow wild near you?

o
RE: Morel growing near my peony bush?!

Very cool, Sugarplums. If you learn how to propagate morels you will become a millionaire. Good luck! ^_^

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here