Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
id moss??

Posted by archoo16 5b, MO (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 8:59

Hi guys, Am a total newbie. I just wanted to make a moss tray for fun. This tray has two kinds, one I picked up from uder a tree in San Diego when I was visiting. I chopped it roughly and sprinkled it on a tray lined with potting mix, peat moss and bark. It is the small patch in the first picture.
 photo DSC_0550_zps3e1ae4c0.jpg

The next one I picked yesterday on the edge of the lawn in our apartment complex in Missouri. Its the greener more abundant one in the picture with globular capsules.

photo DSC_0551_zps6ffc8469.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id moss??

Ok, I think the first one is homalothecium sericeum second one is Pseudephemerum nitidum, Come on, moss pros, what do you think?
 photo DSC_05532_zps470bd9e4.jpg

photo DSC_05512_zpsfe718bcd.jpg
I just googled and looked up moss with similar features. No idea abt what it is really is tho :P
Some one who knows what they are talking abt, plz id this.

This post was edited by archoo16 on Fri, May 10, 13 at 16:08

o

Nobody knows what these are?

o

The second one is in the genus Physcomitrium. Probably Physcomitrium pyriforme. I collected a lot of them on muddy river bank edges in Missouri last spring.

I am not sure about the first one. Mosses are a lot easier to identify if they have little sporophytes on them in addition to the leafy green mat. You might try the California moss Flora which is now online. http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/CA_moss_eflora/

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss Plants and More

o

Thank you! I will.

And you are right, my moss looks more like pictures of Physcomitrium pyriforme. Thanks again.

This post was edited by archoo16 on Sun, May 26, 13 at 12:26

o
Red moss id?

Does anyone have any idea what this beautiful red moss could be? It is growing on a log that edges one of my paths in my woods. It covers almost the whole 8' log. I swear it wasn't here last year so it must be pretty fast-growing, maybe with all the rain we've had this spring.

Sandy

o

Sorry, didn't mean to post this on your thread. I'll repost as a separate thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here