Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nativenut_gw

Should I put bracken fern in my yard?

nativenut
16 years ago

Hello All, I was rock collecting in my neigborhood (new construction) and came across a stand of bracken fern. It is about to be bulldozed and I was wondering if I should "save" it. Will it take over my yard? Anyone have any experience controlling it? Thanks in advance for the replies!

NN

Comments (6)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

I accidentially transported a piece less than 6 inches long into my yard when I rescued an azalea. The first year that fern slept while it built up strength. The next year, it popped up in a few places and by the next year it was yards away from the original spot.

I am in North Georgia and I consider it aggressive, especially in good garden soil.

• harvey12
    16 years ago

I would not!! I planted several specimens in two areas of my yard about three years ago, and I am now trying to dig the widespread system of rhizomes out of other plants, etc. It has become a total nuisance, and I regret having transplanted it. It travels for yards underground, and then pops up in the middle of other plants, requiring that they be uprooted, etc. Leave it where it is!!

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Well I put some bracken(Pteridium aqulilinum) in my moms garden and it nevr spread, but then it was in poor heavy soil.

• coldbeer
    16 years ago

after a nuclear holocaust there will three things left. Joan Collins, cockroaches and bracken

• waplummer
    16 years ago

It was native to my property and I generally tolerate it, pulling it up when it invades my paths or gets out of bounds. At least bracken in the states is more refined than that in Britain.

• blueridgemtngrl
    16 years ago

It grows wild in my yard as well, so I also leave it, but I don't think I would introduce it unless you had the space for it.

If you live in fire prone areas, it is also a fire hazard when it colonizes. It actually thrives in fire prone areas. The dry fronds catch easily while the underground roots survive and actually spread more readily after a fire. I would guess this helps stabilize soils afterwards.

An interesting, if aggressive plant.

Jeanne

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz