Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelley40026

Japanese Holly Fern in Zone 6

shelley40026
18 years ago

I am VERY new at this gardening thing. I just recieved a fern as a gift, and I THINK it is a Japanese Holly Fern. I have killed every house plant that I have ever owned. I do very well with vegetable gardening and have just planted my first flower bed one month ago. PLEASE any advise you can give about caring for this fern is welcome. It is so beautiful, and I don't want to kill it. Just got it yesterday. It is outside in the shade on my back deck. What now????? Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (4)

• stonybrook
    18 years ago

The common name, Japanese Holly Fern, is normally used in reference to the species, Cyrtomium falcatum. It has escaped cultivation and can be found in 15 states and as far north as Ohio & NY. It will tolerate most types of soil from acidic to alkaline, but must be kept moist and not allowed to dry out between watering. Outdoors, the fronds persist throughout the winter, but are usually a crispy brown around the edges by springtime, if subjected to freezing temperatures. For year-around green foliage, it must be treated as a house plant. A cultivar that is usually available, is 'Rochfordianum'. Not many Garden Centers or other outlets sell the true species.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

You can see a photo of my holly fern on my webpage I just threw together this morning to show family some of my flowers and plants. Mouse-over the photos to see the names:

http://www.geocities.com/knottyceltic/BarbsGarden.html

I would plant your Holly Fern outdoors as it will get bigger and more lush than it will indoors even though you get to see it all year indoors. The Holly Fern in the photo has tripled in size from last summer and is VERY pretty. I kill house plants just by looking at them but I'm having very good luck with ferns and hostas as they don't need much more care than just water and shade. My soil is powdered clay mixed with sand with a natural gravel substrate so it doesn't hold water very well. I water about every other day either in early morning or just after supper. If you have humous soil your fern will do better and you will have less watering to do than I do up here.

Barb
    Ontario, CANADA

• shelley40026
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Barb - WOW! Do you leave the fern outside all winter? I have also killed EVERY HOUSE PLANT I have ever owned! Even the spider plant air thing that you are not supposed to be able to kill - me. I was getting scared that I would have to bring it indoors in the winter. Plant the ferns in full shade? I have a good place that I am planning for some hostas, maybe next year. Thanks for your help, and sharing your photos!

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Yes, Shelly, Holly Fern is very hardy and stays green all winter. In spring it turns brown and more crisp but by then all the new shoots/fiddles are coming out and they just cover over the old leaves anyway. My holly fern is between my house and the neighbors so it only gets about an hour or two of sun and does fine, in fact even the more delicate ferns and hostas do fine there. In winter it is covered in at least 3 feet of snow and ice. You'll have to look up each kind of fern though b/c some tolerate or even LIKE more sun than others. Royal Fern for example (osmunda regalis) doesn't mind and actually likes a bit of sun...dappled, short period of sun or forest/house edge. Other kinds like Japanese Painted fern doesn't tolerate sun well at all and will turn brown all down the center of the fronds. I'm very happy with all my shade plants and love the way they move in the breeze.

Barb
    Ontario, CANADA

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!