Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy0903

Which fern for foundation planting ...

nancy0903
15 years ago

I am removing pachysandra from a bed which wraps along 2 sides of a cottage. I want to replace it with fern (I love the look of it). One side gets eastern sun for a good part of the day and needs about a foot of height (to cover cement foundation), the other side is north facing part shade and needs quite a bit more coverage (2 feet height). Soil is rich, well drained. The pachysandra has done relatively well. I like the idea of the more evergreen ferns for obvious reasons but recognize that I am asking alot. (the two sides can be different).Any ideas?

Thanks, Nancy

Comments (3)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

I'd put a giant chainfern (if it's hardy enough) on the northside. Woodwardia will grow over six feet tall. Very full, very jurassic looking fern.

Josh

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

If you don't want it quite that tall you might try ostrich fern, cinnamon fern, or brake fern. Go to Fancy Fronds (no I don't work for them) for a great selection for your area.

One more thing. Foundations of homes often leach alkaline residue into the soil. You should test your soil. Many ferns need the soil neutral-to-acid and you might need to add organic matter to drop the ph of your soil a bit.

Lainey

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

I just got an Alaskan Fern, too. My fronds are a little under two feet long. It likes shade and, being an Alaskan fern, is probably hardy!