Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ostrich Fern Falling Over

Posted by philomena z6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 9:54

Help ! I planted two mature Ostrich Ferns last fall in generally the same area. These 2 plants were spilt out from the same root stock. One is doing just fine, but the other one is having problems. The edges of the fern leaves start to get brown, and then the entire frond falls over. The spot where it bends feels soft. The fern is about 3 or 4 feet high at this point. The only difference I can see compared to the other fern, is that this one gets a little bit more sun. Could that be causing the problem ?

Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ostrich Fern Falling Over

Not too likely that the sun is the trouble. Ostrich fern likes a bit of sun by comparison to most ferns. Here in southern Ontario it will grow out in the sun if in wet conditions or on the edge of a woods. All my Ostrich ferns get dappled light and full sun in the late afternoon and evening. I would be more inclined to think that it got sick after it was split from the other ferns and is just not doing well. If it goes dormant don't dig it up as it may come back next spring. I find Ostrich ferns the easiest to transplant but they do need care for the first year until they are firmly established.

Barb

o

Thanks for the advice - this is the first time I have had any Ostrich ferns, so didn't really know what to expect. I'll keep my eye on it, make sure it stays well-watered, and leave it be, if the plant decides to go to sleep for a while :-)

Thanks again,
philomena

o

I am thinning mine and I am wondering if they fall too wide because I am cutting out smaller ones that sort of prop up the older larger ones as they grow beneath them.

o

The roots of Ostrich ferns are pretty tough. After transplanting, the fronds may topple, but leave the roots alone until the next year. As long as the subterranean growing tip on the root is alive, it will send up new plants until you have more than you know what to do with. Two years ago, I planted 3, now I have 27! As long as they have lots of water, loose humusy soil, and protection from wind, they will thrive. Be patient. You will be rewarded.

The only disappointing thing about Ostrich ferns is that they finish their season so early. By the end of August, they start to look ratty, while other ferns stay looking great until first snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here