Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubybaby43

Fern?

rubybaby43
16 years ago

Hi all! Oooh...I hope I don't look dumb asking this question but I am in the midst of planting woodland plants in our backyard and I came across this growing back there (sorry for the poor quality)....{{gwi:603673}}

I am just wondering if this is a fern. Can anybody ID this for me?

Thanks so much!

Kristy :)

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

I don't think it's a fern because there is no evidence of "fiddleheads" which is the manner in which new leaves form. You could keep watching it though.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I noticed today a new sprout coming up so now I know it's not a fern. I'll take the pic over to the ID board and maybe the weed board and see if I can't find out what it is.

I appreciate your input!

• maidinmontana
    16 years ago

the foliage looks like my astilbe I have growing in my flower bed, they need lots of shade and if you found it growing in the shade it could be a relative??? If it is they will shoot up tall spikes of pink, red or white feathery plumes as flowers, they would look good in a woodland garden setting.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Maid! I do have a lot of Astilbe so I know this isn't one of them. But someone from the MN gardening board said she was pretty sure it is Sweet Cicely and sure enough that's what it is (it has flowered since I originally posted too).

Thanks for the reply!

• tomasincas
    16 years ago

Your picture looked a lot like the one I sent in for identification. it turned out to be Hairy sweet cicely

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:603676}}

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your picture looked a lot like the one I sent in for identification. it turned out to be Hairy sweet cicely

That's definitely it! What have you done with yours? Did you leave it? Did it create problems? So far the few I have found in my small wooded space seems pretty tame and slow growing. I cannot imagine it would threaten anything else growing back there.

Thanks for your reply!

• tomasincas
    16 years ago

Kristy , Yes I left it ,I have two of the cicely plants, and they have stayed about the same size a couple of years now. But they look easy enough that if they become a threat to take over we could pull them out..I also have a plant that they say is invasive called Roberts geranium, but it also looks like you could get rid of it pretty easy, both of them appear to have shallow roots.I have stuff that appears in amongst the ferns and such.A lot can be brought by the birds. Do you have shade in your back yard ? I have just a little area on my side yard where I have woodland plants like Jack in the pulpits , Trillium ,Etc.Here is a picture of a little of my side yard....Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:603678}}

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I love your shade garden! Our whole backyard is wooded. We've thinned it out since we moved in. There were a lot of little oaks competing with huge oaks and they just didn't stand a chance. But it's still all shade and has been a challenge. After six years I am just now trying to get things underway.

Thanks for sharing your picture!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?