Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smbnobles_gw

Need Fern Recommendation!

smbnobles
15 years ago

I am in the final stages of building a swimming pool, that has a 16' long, 18" raised bond beam. I'm really struggling with how to plant behind this wall, but I have this visual of ferns draping over the front of it. I'm looking for something with a height of no more than 18", that will drape.

We plan to build a raised planter box behind the wall, in which we will install a drip line. This area gets full sun from about 3PM on. I've been doing a ton of research, and I've found ferns that can take the sun, but our local nurseries don't carry them. I'll have to order online, so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

I'm just north of Houston, if that helps. Here is a picture of the pool, and even though I have a palm, I really would rather not plant any more tropical plants, due to the formal look of the pool.

If you look closely at the palm, you'll see where ferns have taken root inside the boots. They look like Boston Ferns. I figure if a fern can grow in the environment, they can grow a little lower, at the wall.

Any help is much appreciated:

{{gwi:603805}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington