Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verthwy

light requirements?

verthwy
18 years ago

Over the weekend i purchased 4 ferns--$1 each for a 5 gal. container. They were just setting along the road with a box to put your money in. I don't know what they are; i am not familiar with ferns, but i suspect they are ostrich ferns. They're tall & narrow at this point, appearing as tho they just unfurled. In searching a bit, i see that ostrich ferns grow in part-sun to full shade. Can anyone clarify a bit more? How many hours is part-sun? Would western sun be too strong? The best location i have would be western sun of maybe 4 hours in the spring. In the summer i don't think it would be that long. I never really paid attention to that area of the property--we just moved here about 2 years ago, so i'm not sure exactly how long the sun is in that area.

Also, how much do they spread? Will they become invasive? Our property is on top of a "mountain", so i don't think the soil is all that moist, but populars flourish here & i read that they need moist soil, & the leaf mold seems to keep the Japanese fern i planted happy. I was planning on planting them under a mix of pines & populars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner