Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
holly fern in morning sun

Posted by aMom22 z7aAL (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 05 at 13:42

I have been looking through archives and other sites, but don't seem to find the exact answer I am seeking, so will try with y'all. I recently purchased a lovely holly fern thinking I would put it under a small maple tree in front of my new home. Didn't realize the extent of direct morning sun it would receive, and am now concerned it may not survive. The area I put it in gets sun from sunrise to about 10:30am, but is in full shade from that point on. Is this too much sun?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: holly fern in morning sun

assuming we are talking Cyrtomium falcatum:
It will not get as dark green, and it will not get as large. Otherwise it'll do fine.

dp

o

I am not sure about the botanical name, the tag said "Japanese holly fern".
I bought it from a reputable nursery, but they don't put the botanical names on everything.
Would it be better in a hanging basket that gets much less sun? Or in a pot further back on the porch? Though I've not seen one of these ferns in those forms I would like for the plant to do well.

o

Morning sun is kinder than afternoon sun. I think it will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here