Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
invasion of mushrooms...advice?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 14:58

Hello.

I live in a cove forest in N. VA and it does get a lot of moisture and tends to stay very moist under the surface so usually I just stop to admire the mushrooms and they come and go as the weather changes....no big deal....HOWEVER, last Spring I germinated some tag alder and Itea virginicus or dogwood (I'm leaning towards Itea) seedlings and I planted them at the base of a rotting tree stump. Well, I just noticed this huge crop of mushrooms that has grown up overnight around my seedlings! The tag alder seems (I may be imagining things) to have also grown huge (relatively)w/the arrival of these mushrooms.....will these mushrooms cause any damage to the seedlings besides pushing them over?!

First pic is of the tag alders and the mushrooms (Lindera benzoin to the right is unaffected). Second pic is of Cornus or Itea seedling being "crushed" by monster marauding mushrooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: invasion of mushrooms...advice?

mushrooms pushing seedlings

o

They are growing from the mycelia in the rotting stump.

If they are crowding one of the seedlings, pull a few mushrooms to make room.

o

Thank-you for your input. The seedlings are quite vigorous and the mushrooms seem to be quite soft and pliable...so if I were to leave the seedlings to their own devices, would the mushrooms really pose a physical threat to the seedlings?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here