Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imrainey

Recommendation Please

imrainey
15 years ago

Here is my shade garden in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. I would like to hang a large, showy fern in the back of it to add some interest to that thin hedge. This pic is taken in morning light and that's about the most light it gets in the course of a day.

{{gwi:604543}}

Could anyone recommend a fern that would be suitable? It will be about 7-8' off the ground. The temperatures in that area probably get up to a high of about 80-85Ë at the height of the summer. There will be some humidity most of the time but not a lot at the hottest part of the summer.

Also, since I've never grown a fern before, how often will I have to water? Given that it will be up so high and not in range of the irrigation, I'll have to water it by hand and won't be able to feel the soil in the basket. Is a sphagnum lined basket or a plastic pot better for the relationship of moisture and air?

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

I would think a plastic pot would indeed be better. But most ferns in 80 degree temps will tend to drop leaves and go dormant unless they are native to your area. I would recommend that you contact a fern dealer called Fancy Fronds. They are out west and could probably make an appropriate recommendation for your situation.
    www.fancyfronds.com/

Lainey

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living