Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Chain Fern - Picture

Posted by fogbelt_steve (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 15:35

I would like to share a picture of a favorite fern from my yard -- a Giant Chain Fern (Woodwardia fimbriata). This one (center of picture) is about 4 feet tall and is about 15" diameter at the base. I started out with three 18" plants 4-5 years ago that I put in pots, then each year I divide them and put half in the ground. I now have 7 ferns in the ground and five in pots. This is the best/largest one. Other ferns in the photo are Western Sword Ferns. I'm not sure about the one on the right front (volunteer). There's a green Japanese Maple on the left and a coast redwood on the right. I'm thinking about changing the gravel to bark mulch sometime in the future.

I'm located on the coast of Northern California if anyone is curious.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Chain Fern - Picture

Looks fantastic, Steve!
The Giant Chainfern is my favorite fern. Like you, I have them in combination with other ferns,
notably the western Sword fern and the native Dryopteris from my area. The sooner you can bring
in the bark, the better (in my opinion). All the plants should be happier with bark mulch.

Josh

o

I don't know...if what's under the gravel is a couple feet of really excellent, humusy soil, I can't imagine it would make much difference...at least for the next couple decades.

o

Hi - Wow, just wonderful!!!! I wonder, if they
would grow here in my z-7b area?
Thanks, Mistee

o

Mistee, I think they will grow in your area.

David, I have a Bark bias ;-)

Josh

o

A true mulch, from something that was once really alive, performs many important services to both the soil system AND the plants residing in that soil. Gravel can't even begin to take its place.

First of all, an organic mulch (meaning from a once living source....carbon-based) buffers the soil temperature from excess heat AND cold; it slowly decomposes, providing a food source to essential soil microorganisms responsible for sustaining the life of our plants; as an organic mulch decomposes, it will also recycle essential elements back to the soil...to be taken up by the plants once again; the soil surface will remain cool to the touch and cannot reflect, transmit, nor store heat that might be detrimental to plants and soil in the heat; organic materials provide food for the macroorganisms which turn the soil and create essential channels for water and air movement. A mulch covered surface is both cooler and quieter for us human-types, too!

And Steve....your ferns are gorgeous. Think how they'd look surrounded by a natural looking mulch! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here