Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstonpat

Angiopteris growing fast

houstonpat
15 years ago

With the onset of summer my Angiopteris is putting on fronds fast.

{{gwi:605368}}

Comments (12)

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

Nice crozier pic! What kind of fern is it?(I'm still learning the names of ferns)

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Larry,
    The plant's an Angiopteris evecta, or Mule's foot fern. It's in a class of very primative tropical ferns that require constant moisture and host microbes on their roots that extract nitrogen from the air making it available to the plant. They can get huge under prefect growing conditions. Below is a photo from Manoa Valley on Oahu where they have become invasive. Though I consider a pretty weed.

{{gwi:605370}}

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

Thats a cool looking fern,big too!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

That is a wonderful fern! I love giant ferns!

My grandpa lives in Ka'aawa, on O'ahu...I love that side of the island.

Josh

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah Josh Ka'aawa is nice. I wonder if the trail to Sacred Falls is still closed? That place was one of my favorite hikes when I lived on Oahu in the 70s.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Have always wanted one of those but what if it actually grew ??lol My entire grow area is only 35x75 .lol
    gary

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah Gary, Excellent point. And one I'm trying to deal with these days. In Houston we have several frosts each winter so I have to move tropicals into a small greenhouse, indoors, in the garage or onto a covered patio. No big deal at first. But as they grow things become a little trickier. My Cibotium schiedei is about 7ft tall and 10ft across. Over the past few years I've dragged a palm, Caryota no, through the front door of my house and stood it up in the "foyer". I think it's now too big at nearly 20ft. So, I've talked with Moody gardens about donating that palm to them. They are more that happy. But then, they haven't seen it yet. They have a 1 acre greenhouse/rainforest pyramid, where it could grow for several year befor they have to kill it less it smash through their roof.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the trail is still closed. My parents were there visiting just a few months ago. My dad grew up in Neo valley, went to high school there...

Thanks again for the pic!

Josh

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

Houstonpat,re the big palm. Have you considered asking around on Palmtalk.com to see if someone on there might take it off your hands?

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Have never gardened anywhere but zone 10 so i'm limited to tropicals. Funny how no matter where you live you want to grow that which is the most difficult . I still keep trying to grow temperate plants, even have a separate fridge for instant winter lol
    I think if I lived where I had to move stuff around every year I'd probably grow something more fitting for the climate.?? or I'd more likely be dead as I put on a coat at forty lol.
    I grow a lot of tropicals that are WAY oversize for my space and try various dwarfing techniques. Have never found a method that works with ferns. They either grow as much as they want or croak lol .
    Good luck with your potential monster lol gary

• aroid-jayne
    11 years ago

Great picture !!
    I am a horticulture student in the United Kingdom and have to conduct controlled experiments looking for several outcomes and need to obtain fresh spores for Angiopteris evecta (Mule's-foot fern).
    I know this plant can be invasive in many places but I can't seem to get hold of any spores. Does anyone have any ideas please ?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

They're grown around here but getting spores is a matter of timing. And I don't know how fresh they'd be getting them to the UK. On the matter of their size, I've seen them in the rainforests with fronds up to 5 metres long. They look quite spectacular, but difficult to get a decent photo because of all the surrounding vegetation.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths