Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_k_gw

Fern Spores... what to do with them

stephanie_k
10 years ago

I got cut flowers from my grandson for Mother's day, on the back of the fern leaves were spores, now they are popping open. Can I collect these and get them to sprout? What kind of medium should I use?

Comments (5)

• Baobab
    10 years ago

Hello Stephanie

I'm not an expert but the fern that you have shown seems a Rumohra adiantiformis, I hope someone more knowledgeable give us a more authoritative opinion.

The kind of information you are looking for you can find at the following link:

http://amerfernsoc.org/

I reproduced various ferns but never this, however it takes patience.

Good luck

• Baobab
    10 years ago

Hello Stephanie

I'm not an expert but the fern that you have shown seems a Rumohra adiantiformis, I hope someone more knowledgeable give us a more authoritative opinion.

The kind of information you are looking for you can find at the following link:

http://amerfernsoc.org/

I reproduced various ferns but never this, however it takes patience.

Good luck

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

You first need to understand the life cycle of a fern. Then you'll have a better idea of what you need to do. This is a link to a site which shows the cycle and how to grow them from spore. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fern spores

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Fern spores need high levels of humidity to germinate. You can put them with some wet moist potting soil in a closed bag somewhere dark. Then after a few days you can move the bag somewhere where it will get some light (but still not too much). The small gametophytes should grow (these do not even look like ferns, more like some primitive form of moss or lichen) and then eventually start sending out little fern sprouts, which you can move to a small pot.

• dbarron
    8 years ago

It will likely take months before you have anything that looks like a small ferm leaflet...just don't give up hope.