Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what did I do wrong?

Posted by backyardigan 6 South Central PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 18:08

I planted 4 rhizomes over a month ago. 3 royal ferns and 1 cinnamon fern. 1 of my royal ferns has sprouted and is about 1 foot tall. However I have seen zero growth from the other 3. I try to keep them moist and they get partial to less than partial direct sun. I have them as foundation plantings between my neighbors home and my own. Do they take long to sprout?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what did I do wrong?

You need to check out the culture for Osmunda.
These are ferns that occur in peat bogs so they are used to
acidic wet areas. What kind of soil is there. Also since you mention foundation plantings perhaps the soil is not suitable. You can amend with peat moss. Or even try putting in a bog type habitat into which the plants are planted. I have both types. These are slow growers. Also water quality is important.

o

Did you buy them in bags from a place like Home Depot or Lowes? If so, perhaps they were just not good to start with.

o

Yes, I did purchase from Lowes.tThe one that is a foot already, did have a curly sprout on it (lack of the correct term escapes me at the moment). I do have peat moss, I'll carefully dig up and add peat moss to the rhizome. If it doesn't show any growth at all, I'll just try potted ferns. This location is near where our downspouts run off, so I suspect it would be a wet location. I'm going to take a picture and post back. Thanks

o

The word you are looking for is: Crozier

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here