Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scotch Moss deadspots after winter, PICS

Posted by qwiksilvertrav 4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 18:35

So after the snow melted my scotch moss was looking a bit rough. Brown, matted, etc.
So should I leave these dead spots or cut them out? I'm assuming now that it's mid may and well into the growing season here now that it would have started to come back.

Here's some pics to help you see what I mean:

photo IMG_0917.jpg

photo IMG_0915.jpg

photo IMG_0916.jpg

Some came back fully and some that are dead in the middle have bright green edges etc. Any advice on what to do with it would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scotch Moss deadspots after winter, PICS

Anyone?

o

We have the same problem so I would be very interested in any solutions offered, or any that you find on your own. We had a really hard winter, and this is the first time we've had this particular problem.

o

Well it's definitely still growing and some parts look really good but some are just dead and matted. I don't think those spots are coming back if they haven't greened up by now.
I guess I just cut it out and let the good spots fill in the old spots?

o

Well to update I just removed the dead spots by picking it away gently. Some of it is filling in and some of it seems to be struggling. I bought some seed that I'm going to plant to try to fill it in which should work fine.
Overall my first experience is get the dead stuff picked away and try to take care of it the best you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here