Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kangaroo Paw Fern info needed

Posted by leearnold z5 In. (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 22:33

I have a fern I bought at the grocery store that I'm not exactly sure what it is. I've searched the "net", and the closest thing to it that I have found a picture of is Kangaroo Paw Fern. I would like to know how to propagate this thing. It grows well, is lovely, and the leaves are so shiny they look like they have been waxed! Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kangaroo Paw Fern info needed

You would have to show a photo. Kangaroo paw to one person is rabbit's foot to another. If you bought it in the grocery store, the leaves may have indeed been waxed. I can't think, off hand, of a fern with super shiny leaves.

Lainey

o

The leaves are NOT waxed. I've grown this fern for about 3-4 years now and the new leaves are the same. It growes very well for me. I'm just not sure how to propagate it. I've tried cutting off pieces and trying to root them in water with no success.

o

Generally, ferns can be propagated best by dividing the crown prior to active growth in the spring. As it is, the fern will pretty much separate itself for you along an old growth/new growth line, then you simply peel the crown in half.
(If this is an outdoor fern, you'll be dividing when the weather is still cold, so you'll want to protect the new divisions).

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here