Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgmd

Walking Fern, growing tips needed

sgmd
15 years ago

I bought a clump of Walking Fern (Asplenium rhizophyllum) for a friend of mine from a seller on Ebay. We looked up the natural history accounts, and apparently, these ferns are found growing off limestone and sandstone rocky outcrops covered in moss, in moist environments.

To mimic those conditions as closely as possible, we took a stone slab (granite, we didn't have any limestone) and coated it with moistened dry sphagnum moss. To secure the moss, we put a couple of hairnets over it, then placed the mat of Walking Fern on top of it. The mat was further secured with nylon thread.

We placed the mounted plant on a waterfall step that flows into a pond, in a shaded location which gets a little sun for a few hours (we'll move it if the sun is too strong). The flowing water is about 1/2 inch deep. Being on a little "island" provides the necessary humidity, and the sphagnum moss provides water for the ferns via capillary action as well as a growth substrate.

This plant likes calcium so i'll try to find it a limestone home, and if i can't, at least sprinkle some crushed coral over the plant.

If anyone has experience with successfully establishing this plant, please let us know how you did it. We would really like to make this plant happy in its new home.

Thanks!

shireen

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting