Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I do this right? - Growing moss?

Posted by destany z6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 8:07

Don't mean to intrude, I've never posted in this forum before. I'm wanting to grow moss on some of the rocks and the tree stump around my pond. The area is shady and the ground is always moist, though the rocks are usually not. I've tried to mimic the conditions of the creek behind my house, where moss flourishes.
I harvested some moss from the creek, and put it in a bowl with a bit of water to make it squishy - then I added some plain organic yogurt and blended it. It was cake batter consistency, and then I painted it onto my rocks and stump.
Though, it dried by the time I went back inside. I know not to pour water on it, obviously, I'll wash the mixture off. But is it okay now that it's dried up? Should I go out and mist it a couple times a day with a squirt bottle? Will it really grow moss?

I can go and get more moss anytime I like, to redo it if I messed up the process. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I do this right? - Growing moss?

Dont know if the link below will help you or not. there is a link on growing mosses on anything using your modified
"buttermilk" method. I would think that humidity is necessary for your method to succeed. You may want to fog the air in order to push up the humidity.
The most important thing would be that your conditions would normally support the mosses in your created habitat.
That would mean comparable moisture and shade, coolness,which are the primary needs of such mosses.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing moss

o
RE: Did I do this right? - Growing moss?

I would think that misting the moss would help. Make sure to use distilled/rain water though, tap water can have lime dissolved in it that moss doesn't like very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here