Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
mushroom fungus removal forever?

Posted by marcincon z5/6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 8:35

After tremendous amounts of rain we always get alot of fungus - massive cream colored powdery stuff similar to baking mix or vomit that measures approx from 2 inches up to 12 inches - mostly grows on top of mulch. I understand these are also called mushrooms. Is there a way to avoid getting these? We simply scrape them off with no problem. We have alot of pine trees surruonding our house and do get alot of regular looking mushrooms too but not in the mulch. Should we add lime to the mulch? Looking forward to advice. I will post a picture in the 'name that plant' gallery.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: mushroom fungus removal forever?

Your harmless 'slime mold' (not a mold or a fungus) can be avoided if you stop using organic mulches completely. Since that is not a good option for your soil or plants, I suggest that you simply scrape them away if they offend you.

Lime would not be the solution....1) it wouldn't prevent the organism from growing and 2) it could change the pH of your soil.

Mushrooms coming out of the ground, by the way, are a sign that important decomposition is happening under the soil surface, AND that an exceedingly beneficial relationship may be taking place between the fungus organism and the roots of your trees (and other plants). Mushrooms are a good thing.


 o
RE: mushroom fungus removal forever?

You could buy treated mulch so that this does not happen, or plastic mulch, maybe even shredded rubber. The reason this is happening is because you live in an area with a high level of spores for this fungus or bacteria , Maybe you could try different types of orgainic mulch to see if it hinders this from happening, different trees have different compounds to fight off different decomposers, but personally I would recomend just leaving it, it helps provide your plants with nutrients.


 o
RE: mushroom fungus removal forever?

Ummm, brendan...slime mold is neither a fungus NOR a bacteria. The organism is ubiquitous in all but the most sterile of environments....which would not be healthy for human nor beast....nor plant, lol.

There is no reason to do anything but rake the area to disturb it. Prevention should not even be a consideration. Plastic mulch? Yikes.


 o
RE: mushroom fungus removal forever?

Slime molds are really fascinating. I've seen two this spring, one yellow, and one pink. They have several stages they go through and each one is really interesting. Why not watch them and learn?

Lainey


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here