Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fern ID Challenge!

Posted by marbles_n_the_garden SE MA Coast Z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 9:11

Fern ID Challenge!

New to ferns (have wanted them for years).
Lost in the ID process--have made valiant attempts, but it seems like it would be a full-time ob to ID them: to many genera!

This has been a huge challenge for me. I have 2 ferns that I know: painted, cinnamon. All the others I do not know. I have 7 pictures if anyone wants to help with this challenge, I would be so thankful!

The pictures are numbered at the BOTTOM of each photo. Here is the web address:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqsunl/id4.html

Thanks so much!
Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: My Fern Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fern ID Challenge!

Pictures 1, 3 and 4 are a little far away to see the details. I don't know what #2 is.

5. Christmas Fern, Polystichum acrostichoides
6. Maidenhair Fern, likely northern maidenhair: Adiantum pedatum
7. Sensitive Fern, Onoclea sensibilis

o

#4 Is a Lady fern I believe. I dont know #2 either.

Jen

o

Identification is hard enough with a frond in hand where one can see the sori. With a fern book you should be able to at least distinguish between Dryopteris and Athyrium.

o

#s 1 & 7 are both Onoclea sensibilis. #2 is a Cystopteris, but not identifiable further. #3 may well be another Cystopteris. On #4 my first guess would be that it's Thelypteris noveboracensis, but nothing approaching certainty is possible from the image.

Check out the Connecticut Botanical Society's webpage, they have some great images of ferns native to your area.

Patrick Alexander

o

#2 looks like a fragile fern to me.

o

Thanks for all the help! I have updated my fern page accoding to the suggestions here. If anyone else wants to provide info, I'd be grateful!
Thanks,
Robin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here