Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diagnosis - Dryopteris help! (pics)

Posted by greenman28 Nor Cal 7/8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 9:53

This spring, something's gone wrong with my Dryopteris fern. This one is the worst hit,
but there is another that is affected. I cut the fronds off after taking these pics. Here are
a few pics - the first is from last year, when the fern was looking nice. The differences I
note are a). the slow, cool spring we've had and b). the grass that had crowded the fern.
I'm wondering if either of these factors is the culprit, or if it's some other pathogen.

Last year:

Photobucket

This year:
Photobucket

The fronds:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diagnosis - Dryopteris help! (pics)

I am not familiar with diseases of ferns, so it could be a virus or other pathogen. However, is it possible that it got hit by an herbicide? It is pretty close to the lawn and chemicals like 2,4-D can cause unusual growth at low doses.

o

I'm no expert on ferns but it could be a fungal gall. If so, pruning is a good start.

o

Thanks for the suggestions.

So I take it you've never seen this particular occurence before? I certainly haven't been
able to find anything that matches on-line. I haven't even been successful in searching
for problems affecting Dryopteris ferns.

I think I'll dig this fern up, remove all of the wire grass, and then give it another go.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here