Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss propigation v. transplant

Posted by squirrel_girl 5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 25, 06 at 9:56

I have a moist shady area near the woods in my back yard that I would like to develop into a moss garden. There is a faint dusting of green developing naturally on the soil, but it hasn't changed much in the past month. Nearby, I have a few 6" by 2" patches of moss growing that must be moved. Also, I have a 12" by 36" patch near my front door that is developing naturally. It is between a dusting and visible tiny moss patches.

1) Is it better to transplant the 6" patches whole and wait for them to spread naturally, or to sacrafice them to the blender method?
2) How early in the front door moss' development can I move it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss propigation v. transplant

1) Depends on how fast you want to get the new colony going.
2) I would wait til it is more established.

o

Hi- I have successfully moved several types of moss to cover a concrete "bunker" in my yard. Be sure to bring some soil with the patches and water them often. Mosses grow slowly, but your patience will be rewarded!

o

squirrel girl,

summertime is generally moss hibernation time unless you constantly water. By all means try tranplant first because the blender metthod relies on moss being kept wet/moist till the moss goes through the protonema stage, "fine green threadlike strands that later develop into moss". Even mature moss needs moisture to grow well. To improve moisture in the summer, cover ground with frost cloth to raise humidity or even plastic if ground is well shaded. Water with rainwater or distilled and if you do keep moss well hydrated then use an acid fertilizer, like for azaleas. Humidity, fertilization, warm temps (not too hot) and proper shade/lighting can casue moss to grow rapidly.

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here