Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone recognize this broadleaf fern?

Posted by fusty_overalls z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 10:00

I have had this broadleaf fern in my garden since I transplanted it from my camp near the Allegheny National Forest in northwestern PA several years ago. This year it seems to be growing and spreading more than it has in the past...it must be happy where it is. Does anyone know what kind it is?

(Does anyone want some? I'll be thinning it a little this summer and I'd be willing to trade for a different type of fern.)

Thanks for any ID help.

Here is a link that might be useful: my broadleaf fern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone recognize this broadleaf fern?

onoclea sensibilis

o

I can't see the picture (get a "denied" message), but if that is right, the common name is Sensitive Fern.

o

sorry...i was messing around with the naming of my website. here's the link again. I think DeepRoots might be right...looks like the onoclea sensibilis that i googled for...and, you're right...the links tell me its common name is "sensitive fern" cuz it's the first thing to be affected by cold weather and frost. thanks all.

Here is a link that might be useful: my broadleaf fern

o

Yup, that's Onoclea.

Patrick Alexander

o

Fusty Overalls: You may be sorry you brought this fern into your garden. If you check some of the other posts in this fern forum, you'll see that you may never be able to get rid of it. Sensitive Fern has a well-deserved reputation for being aggressive. This is a good reason to buy ferns from a local nursery rather than taking them from the wild. With nursery-bred stock, you know what you're getting and how to handle it. Also, it's less likely that any eco-systems will be negatively affected, including that of your garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here