Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

Another Japanese Fern Question..where and how to plant?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

I know I just read in the past few weeks that someone posted saying they planted their Japanese Fern in a different location than usual and it was really happy and growing great. Now I can't remember where I read it.

I have three small transplants and thought I might try them all in different locations to see how they do. I had one planted right up against the foundation on the north side of my house. It died out the first year I think. So I want to place it right this time.

I have locations that are under trees and at the edge of trees, facing East. There is full shade, dappled shade, 2 hours of morning sun, and one location that has sun from 7am to about 11am. My soil has a ph of 6.4 and is clay/loam. I have home made compost that I can use or cow manure to amend the planting hole and I have bark mulch and newspaper to mulch the area once it is planted. I am planning on installing a soaker hose to keep the area moist.

Can someone tell me if I am on the right track and how much sun I should plant them in?

Thanks,

Adam

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks