Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fern in need of help!

Posted by texasyank North Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 10:14

I purchased a fern a few weeks ago, and it's in trouble. It's a long-fronded, woody-stemmed fern. I had it indoors at first, sitting on top of a tall entertainment center. When it began dropping leaves, I thought it needed better light, so I moved it out to a bright area on the patio, out of direct sun. Now the leaves are turning black and are still falling off, although not at the same rate.

When I first got it, it was ridiculously thick, so I thinned out about half of the fronds. There is some new growth, but it doesn't look very healthy.

The next step I'd planned was to divide and transplant it. Will this help deter any further blackening and loss of the leaves?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fern in need of help!

Did you repot it? What are your watering habits with it? Can you provide a picture?

o
RE: Fern in need of help!

Make sure you are not overwatering. It needs good drainage too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here