Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dicksonia Antarctica

Posted by kirkhamgates (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 10:24

Last September I spotted a 4ft. Dicksonia Antarctica in my local B & Q standing in a pot, without any frongs. The garden manager told me, it was the last of a bunch that had all been sold. In his opinion it had died and would be shortly thrown out. He assured me the tree had been healthy with plenty of leaves, but they had died back. From this I thought maybe lack of water (I have seen the staff squirt the hosepipe around and some plants get it and some don't) So I took a chance at a low price, planted it in my garden and continually sprayed it until winter, when I covered the crown with sawdust and bubblewrap. I took off the 'cap' in spring and continued with the water spraying when it was dry. So far nothing (2nd. june) Any suggestions please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dicksonia Antarctica

Hi
While they are hardier than most tree ferns .Temps much below freezing will probably be fatal. If the ground actually froze I'd say it's gone.
Should definitely be up and growing by now gary

o

Avoid putting debris in the crown or water in the crown. It's a good way to develop the fatal Rhizoctinia disease.

o

I have two tree ferns which were starting to shoot when we got that icy blast last April. The new growth was obviously burned black although the plant did try to grow these blackened stumps. All I have now is two plants which are looking very sorry for themselves, with the remnants of the growth in 2011, which I had left until they are now totally brown.

Have I lost them do you think, or will they surprise me and 'regenerate' in the spring? We live in Cornwall which is pretty temperate and am hoping to take them with me when I move.

Reading a post by footfullofbindis, they would appear to be pretty indistructible......but I'm unsure... I have had them 8 years and they have survived happily before.

o

In habitat they go through bushfires and drought. But usually they're in a more protected place with constant dampness around the roots. Taking that long to recover doesn't look good. From what you say they've been through one summer without any signs of recovery. It'd be no problem to wait until your next summer and see, but I wouldn't be overly hopeful. It's surprising that in Cornwall it'd get cold enough to get that much damage, they do grow at higher altitudes where there's snow.

o

I had some luck with putting "dead" ferns in the hot compost bin. They begin to grow again and can be replanted later. The heat is like a spa for ferns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here