Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion ferns for chameleon plants

Posted by asorethumb z6 Ky (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 10:51

Hi

I have a mostly shady area, about 4ft wide x 20 ft long that I have planted several chameleon plants in. I know the nature of the chameleon plant, and I am hoping it will eventually cover the area. It is blocked off by the foundation on one side, and a sidewalk on the other.

I would like to plant a few ferns in there as well. Preferably evergreens. The taller the better. Something that can handle the aggressiveness of the chameleon plants.

Can anyone make any recomendations? I know nothing of ferns!

tia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion ferns for chameleon plants

Ostrich fern (Matteuccia), Sensitive fern (Onoclea), Japanese painted fern (Athyrium), hart's tongue fern (scolopendrium), royal fern (osmunda), and some maidenhair ferns (adiantum) will all do well in your area. You will want to visit a website called Fancy Fronds for sure. They grow temperate ferns that will do well in Kentucky.

May I suggest the fern Dryopteris filix-mas 'Cristata Martindale' It is a gorgeous fern that does well in Indiana where I live. It has an interesting feature of splitting into multiple tassels at the end of each frond making it very "ferny" and beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fancy Fronds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here