Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rraciti

Ostrich Ferns

rraciti
18 years ago

I've planted several ostrich ferns this year, all in semi shady or shady spots. So far, none are doing very well. Large fronds grow, but then soon turn brown and die back. New ones come up, but the same thing happens. My soil is ph6.5 and highly organic with some clay. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• RobbyEm
    18 years ago

Are you sure that they're getting enough water, Matteuccia struthiopteris does like damp conditions.

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

Where did you get the plants you planted? If they were transplants this is normal. Next year they will be fine. If they were potted, I would still say they are spreading roots and that is why they do not look great. Give them until next year you will have beautiful ferns.

• surf_grrl
    18 years ago

rraciti, my ostrich ferns, planted (transplanted) this spring look the same as you describe. It's been a very wet spring and summer here, so I'm doubting lack of water is the problem - everything else in the garden, including the other moisture-loving ferns, is doing waaaaay better than usual (I tend towards blatant neglect when it comes to watering). My water theory would be completely off, of course, if ostrich ferns need considerably more water than I'm expecting. I'm very encouraged by arcy's theory that this may be a first-year transplant issue. I've got little patience for divas in the garden, and was thinking about offing the ferns next spring and planting something else there... looks like they have a reprieve.

• karinl
    18 years ago

I know about that wet spring in the Pacific northwest, though we have had a dry week (just one!) and I just noticed today that my Ostrich fern in a pot also has brown fronds. It is in its second year in a 5-gal pot. I guess the possibility has to be entertained that they prefer not to be in a pot, but for a runner like this it's got no choice in my little yard. As for water, I've seen them grow fairly dry in the ground. I was just going to cut off those brown fronds and see what happens... to mine and others, I hope!

• CountrysRDLITE
    18 years ago

Hi all, I have lots of these ferns growing in my woods. If any one has other types of ferns that will live in zone 5 and wants to trade this fall please let me know.

• JohnnieB
    18 years ago

I find that ostrich ferns will tolerate surprisingly dry and sunny conditions once they are established, but newly transplanted ones, especially the larger ones, seem to have trouble supporting their foliage in the first year--probably because their roots have been damaged. The ones that pop up from rhizomes will be much tougher. In the meantime I agree that the newly transplanted ones should be kept on the wet side, and I'll bet they look a lot better next year.

• deborahmaclark
    3 years ago

I have transplanted many ostrich ferns but some at the base have what look like a small different looking short fern. This was not on the fern prior to transplanting. What is this? Should I cut it or separate from the main part of the plant? Sometimes I don’t even get the taller fern leafs just this shorter version.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

I am clueless as to what this could be, can you post a picture? I have never had this happen and I too transplant and even use them in my flowerpots.

Sponsored