Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fern book

Posted by plantbug 7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 11:52

I am looking for a fern book to buy which has lots of detailed wonderful pictures with names. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fern book

Ferns to Know and Grow by F. Gordon Foster.

o

The only Fern book currently in print, that I am aware of, that meets your requirements, is Ferns for American Gardens by John T. Mickel
Most of the Fern books, relating to garden ferns, that were published during recent years, are out of print and are only available through used book sellers. One of those, The Plantfinders Guide to Garden Ferns by Martin Rickard is comparable to the Mickel book.
Judith Jones has about 150 color images and descriptions of garden ferns on her website, fancyfronds.com
Rb

o

Thanks for this info! I will check them out.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 13:52

John Mickel's book, Ferns for American Gardens, was reprinted in paperback by Timber Press, in 2003. I don't know if it was updated at all, but it is generally available, and very well reviewed.

o

Come on ya'll; help plantbug out. While Foster's and Mickel's books are good, why not spend a few bucks and get the best? I consider the Second Edition of the 'Fern Grower's Manual' by Hoshizaki & Moran the bottom line on ferns under cultivation. The 8x10 book, with over 600 pages, 50 color plates, and hundreds of drawings it's da kine.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 9:22

Thanks, houstonpat. I just ordered it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here