Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrispy33_gw

Moss 'lawn'

chrispy33
14 years ago

I have a summer shore house located in a pine tree area on a salt water tital creek. When I moved in 10 years ago there was a considerable amount of native mosses growing with the grasses on my shady lawn area. I tried to rid the lawn of moss and encourage the grass. That was a headache since it needed to be mowed, fertilized, pampered, etc. Then I had the idea of ridding the lawn of grass and encouraging the moss which to me looks much nicer. That has generally been a bit more successful and much more in tune with the environment. I have parts that are now 4 years old and a bigger area that I just started last fall. I found a helpful book - Moss Gardening by George H. Schenk but I still would like to hear about any other experiences and tips with encouraging moss growth. Propagation is easy as the mosses best suited for the particular area just show up. I know it requires a low ph (5.5) so I appied sulphur which has helped discourage grasses, but weeds (clover, dandelions, etc.) are still an issue until the moss has thickened to the point of full coverage. According to the book the main option is hand weeding. That is almost as much of a pain as maintaning a grass lawn. Any suggestions for weed control? Do lawn weed killers affect moss? Another issue is some small sections just die out for several months with no clear reason why. Hope to get some useful feedback. Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting