Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstonpat

Sadleria

houstonpat
16 years ago

Is anyone growing Sadleria? Although it's growing well for me over the past 10 months, I was wondering about any long term growing problems. Right now it about 2 ft high and 2 ft wide with lots of little offsets. I've met with mixed results in potting up the offsets.

Comments (10)

• stephenpope2000uk
    16 years ago

Sadleria cyatheoides seems to be a difficult species to propagate and resents being disturbed during transplanting. I can't come up with a reason why this should be - but I'm not the first to be struck by this, as Sue Olsen's new fern book attests...she's very gloomy about its propagating potential. They clump readily, but the offsets don't necessarily co-operate with being removed and potted up. All my successful specimens have been rare survivors from spore propagation attempts, rather than from division. I've currently got about half a dozen stand-alone plants now - but I know I risk losses when it comes to the next few potting-on stages.

Pat, I think we've had rather similar fern interests for quite a while now and I always look out for your name on here. Although I've got a large collection of unusual Cyatheas, it's really the Cibotiums that challenge and absorb me the most!

• Dick_Sonia
    16 years ago

I've given up on Sadleria. I have had them grow happily for a few years, then suddenly die for no apparent reason. I, too, can attest to their reluctance to accept potting on. I've observed them in their native habitat where they grow in startlingly exposed and barren niches. My attempts to recreate their native growing conditions here on the mainland (volcanic scree with full sun exposure) have not been successful. They seem to do better in a greenhouse with regular potting medium.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys for your thoughts. The first few offsets I removed all rooted easily. The next 5 all died. I have it growing in a shade house will plenty of water, such as growing Angiopteris. I expect it will grow like a Blechnum.
    Anyone else have thoughts on Sadleria?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

I have seen it growing outdoors in San Francisco..but only seen it.I dont know how old it was(had a trunk) or if it's still there. The one in the high tropics greenhouse in the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco does not look too happy for some reason.Maybe newly planted?

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone else have experience with Sadleria? Here is a pic of mine, about 24" tall.
    {{gwi:607829}}

• stephenpope2000uk
    16 years ago

Can you post a sharper image, Pat - maybe a couple of close-ups? It doesn't look like Sadleria to me. Your specimen's frond shape and soft glossy texture is not what I'd expect for a leathery dark-green bipinnate species like S.cyatheoides.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You bet Stephen; I'll try to get a couple of close ups this evening. But, my only digital cam is my cell phone. I too am skeptical of it's identity. Though, I bought it from a reputable nursery. I use the "Fern Grower's Manual" by Hoshizaki & Moran for identification, and will confirm using the book "Tree Ferns" by Braggins. The rhizome is erect, and crozier form is correct for Sadleria, vice its close cousin Blechnum. This evening I will take my reference to the garden and compare spore case arrangement with the line drawing.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well hell. Upon more detailed observation and research I have determined it to be Diplazium esculentum. So, it would seem I can relax on its care a bit. And, while on the "Big Island" of Hawaii this fall, I will try to obtain a Real Sadleria. Jeez. - It's still a nice fern.

• stephenpope2000uk
    16 years ago

Yes, it certainly looks just like Diplazium esculentum - which now abounds in parts of Hawaii. Forms an attractive little trunk as well, so still a nice acquisition even though it now means ADDING Sadleria cyatheoides back to your wish-list!

Pat, in the current security climate is there any way at all of somebody sending you a tiny Sadleria sporeling via air mail - something the size of a cassette tape, say? I guess not...

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't observed any delays or problems with shipping within the US; still receiving fresh leis in Houston sent from the islands. I just don't know about international.
    Understanding the difficulties with transplant shock in Sadleria I will try to obtain one stablized in a small pot and collect spore if available.

I didn't know Diplazium was in Hawaii. I have found it odd that fern cultivation is not more popular there. They seem to be focused on palms and orchids.

I was surprized to see few retail nurseries on Oahu and Kauai. During my '05 visit in noted the stores such as Wal-Mart and Home Depot sold no native ferns, but did sell Cyathea cooperi. And I only saw one example of Sadleria in 6 botanic gardens I visited.

Below is a Diplazium crozier.

{{gwi:607832}}

Sponsored