Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell if Birdsnest Fern is Rotting?

Posted by minibot z9/10NorCA Sz17 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 15:08

Hello there, I have a birdsnest fern that seemed to be doing alright and I kept it sitting in some water. I'm wondering since the roots are pretty dark if it is slowly rotting and I just don't see it yet? How do you tell if you have crownrot? I can't believe I didn't follow up with culture information before trying to care for the plant! I relied on intinct only, and thought it looked good, but there's been little growth in new leaves and the new babies in the center are looking kinda mucky, although there is still green. I've since drained it on ppr towels, should I repot into fresh media?

minibot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell if Birdsnest Fern is Rotting?

Birds nest ferns are very susceptible to rot, especially if you water over the top of the crown. Another interesting thing is that the root mass is very small relative to the above ground part of the plant. If you have over-potted the plant then obviously you increase your risk of rot and various other bacterial/fungal infections.

Over the years I have gravitated to a mix of orchid bark and peat moss. This is very free draining but retains enough moisture between waterings.

I'd repot (under-potting) to ensure that going forward you have created as optimal an environment for the plant as possible.

BTW birds nest fern roots are typically dark; the best way of doing a quick health-check is to examine the roots to see if they have light coloured tips. If so they are definitely OK.

Good luck and I hope you get to appreciate these wonderful ferns for many years to come.

o

• Posted by minibot z9/10NorCA Sz17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 16:05

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to unpot it and check it. It looks like the little leaves coming out are green, but I guess time'll tell. I'm probably going to repot tonight. I didn't really think about treating it like my other epiphytes, because for some odd reason I thought they liked boggy conditions :-) I'll have to mix up some lighter soil combo with bark with whatever I have. Maybe pumice mixed with bark and supersoil. Should I wash away the old soil? The roots look pretty dark I don't think I saw any light tips, but perhaps there are closer to the plant. I saw these ferns on Maui in the trees! Didn't even think that they need more air :-) Duh. That's probably what killed my very first one in 6th grade...I had it in a glass bowl.

minibot (hopefully not earning the title "fern killer" soon)

o

To be honest I am not sure if washing the soil off will make any difference.

And don't worry about the 'fern killer' moniker ; You've made all the same mistakes I did when first starting out :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here