Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? Mushrooms in the grass. A bad thing?

Posted by birdtalker z7WA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 18:09

We had a spell of about 2 years when large mushrooms were coming up in the back yard. We had lost a tree and I figured the roots were decomposing. Now we have tiny mushrooms coming up in the front yard, in an area where my husband added soil to the area many years ago. It is also the area where the ground dries out the most in summer, and we usually have a bare spot or two there in fall, after the dry spell. DH is death on mushrooms because "they kill the grass". Give me some advice please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? Mushrooms in the grass. A bad thing?

Most mushrooms live on dead or dying wood and dying roots, so it's hard to see how they could kill the grass. I suppose if the mycelium is really thick it could use nutrients that might otherwise be available to the grass, but I've not seen it happen. I get about three kinds of mushroom-type fungi coming up in my lawn and I always welcome them. They don't seem to hurt anything, and are always beautiful. I think it's a matter of taste. Lots of folks don't want ANYTHING in their lawn.

Lainey

o

Sweep away the mushrooms. They are simply the fruiting body of decomposing organisms in the soil. They aren't killing the grass.

The mushrooms have nothing to do with why the ground dries out or why there are bare patches. The answers to those problems lie deeper within the soil.

o

I was thinking there might be some sawdust or something like that in those areas. You never know what you get when you buy 'topsoil' these days. I appreciate the mushrooms and they do not seem to do anyharm but the guys around the neighborhood have a lot of 'old wives tales' they believe in and have to have something to grouch about when a female has the greenest lawn on the block!

o

Leave them be. They are very much most likely beneficial to your lawn. They break down materials so the grass can make use of it. Their wastes are also good for the grass. Its not necessary for these processes that the mushies are left alone, but let the seed spread to the wind....

o

you could always spray paint them purple and pretend they are big violets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here