Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karate626

I planted some ferns! Can anyone ID them? A lot of Pics Included!

karate626
12 years ago

I don't know if this, the perennial or woodland forum is the best for this post. I posted it in each because I'm not sure which is best for this!

I just planted a bunch of ferns on the edge of the retaining wall for my patio. They were growing in various places in my woodland. Some/most are probably native to the Mid-Atlantic region (I'm right equidistant from Baltimore MD and Washington D.C.) I tried to include the underside and top of each fern to aid in identification. Let me know if any other pictures are needed! Sorry if some are upside down or sideways. I planted them near my patio so I'm able to see them more. I will provide as much information I can provide!

{{gwi:240836}}

{{gwi:240837}}

I think those are both Sensitive Ferns (Onoclea sensibilis). Just want a confirmation!

{{gwi:240838}}

{{gwi:240839}}

{{gwi:240840}}

I think those might be lady ferns (Athyrium filix-femina). I just got those from a friend. She doesn't remember the name of the but said she got them from Home Depot or Lowes so it is probably a commonly grown fern. The fern is laying all over the ground but is still green. It is starting to grow new leaves/fronds!

{{gwi:240841}}

{{gwi:240842}}

{{gwi:240843}}

{{gwi:240845}}

Those are very small ferns. You can use the regular size bricks to imagine the size of them. They were 2 small plant growing next to my mailbox across the street. I don't know if they are just baby ferns or just a small species of fern.

{{gwi:240846}}

{{gwi:240847}}

{{gwi:240848}}

I think that fern is a Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides). It is ever green. This was growing on a slight slope near my mailbox. It was being over grown by Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).

{{gwi:240849}}

{{gwi:240850}}

{{gwi:240851}}

I have no clue what this is. It grows from a central crown which is unlike the other ferns I planted. The leaves on the bottom of each frond in the center are a whitish colour. I don't know what that means. I think the neighbors planted this in the back of their property and it has slowly spread. I found these 2 plants on my side of the property line.

{{gwi:240852}}

{{gwi:240853}}

{{gwi:240854}}

Those are some pics of all the ferns. I can't wait for them to grow more!

Thanks for any advice/help/confirmation of plants/etc!

T.J.

Comments (3)