Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold hardness of Boston Ferns (Nephrolepis exaltata)?

Posted by treeguy123 AL 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 20:11

Does anybody know the true in the ground cold hardness of a Nephrolepis exaltata? Specificaly Nephrolepis exaltata `Bostoniensis' if that matters.

I know Nephrolepis exaltata fronds are killed to the ground by frost during the winter in their northern Florida native range and then come back in the spring, but what is the coldest they can take when in the ground and still sprout back in the spring every year like so many native ferns do here?

I know for a fact they can grow in the ground in USDA 8a zone or down to around 13F (-11.5C) and still come back each year in the spring. But can they survive in USDA zone 7a/7b outside in the ground? Here in AL we get an average low each winter around 5 to 10F (-15 to -12C) but some years it can get down to around 0F (-18C).
I just thought it was strange that all the sources I've looked at show it hardy just to USDA zone 8b or 9 but it seems like they might could grow outside in the ground in colder zones such as 6 or 7 at least and come back from the ground each year.

Also does anybody know a online source to buy the exact original classic cultivar: Nephrolepis exaltata `Bostoniensis'? It seems like every single nursery and store sales all the cultivars of Nephrolepis exaltata, except `Bostoniensis'.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold hardness of Boston Ferns (Nephrolepis exaltata)?

What do you mean by "in the ground cold hardness"? Or did you mean "hardiness"?

Cheers,

jc

Here is a link that might be useful: how to care for ferns

o

Pretty obviously meant hardiness...in-ground versus container.

I can't answer the question, though.

o

Yes, greenman28 is right, I was meaning in the ground, not in a container.
If a plant is left in a pot in the freezing winter, the roots can freeze easy and die, compared to in the ground were the roots are insulated much more from the cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here