Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fern Identification ..PLease!!

Posted by dosaye Zone 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 21:52

Can someone tell me the name of this particular fern?
I don't think it is Boston fern it is more hardier.
Thanks
Shellie

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fern Identification ..PLease!!

Well, if it isn't Boston fern it's another closely-related species in the genus Nephrolepis.

Patrick Alexander

o

I too live in Florida and have these same ferns and would like to know what they are called! Also I would like to be able to offer them for trading, but not sure how to ship them, would I cut off foliage and wrap roots to ship or is it easy to save spores from this fern?
Hope someone can help!!!
Brenda in FL

o

Nephrolepsis cordifolia "Florida Sword Fern"

if you are in doubt of the species name, pull some up.... do you see little fleshy root balls? ok than it is definatly the species cordifolia.

fairly common, I personally like it when it grows on a palm tree.

Drew

o

• Posted by Baggy Midlands UK (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 5:27

I have grown this from spore, and on mine the fronds have crested is this normal?

o

It looks like a sword fern, Nephrolepis exaltata. It grows beautifully in Florida, but does not tolerate the colder weather beyond zone 8. I have tried it here in N. Carolina, and it barely survived one winter under heavy mulch, but died shortly thereafter. It is easy to transplant, and does well in a greenhouse. It is supposed to be the ancestor of all Boston ferns, so I would recommend that you treat it as such, bringing it indoors in the winter, unless you live in Florida!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here