Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you ID this for me please?

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 6:21

I can't tell if this is something I planted or a weed. Also, I have many sensitive ferns in this area. Are they a valuable specimen or should I remove them?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you ID this for me please?

This looks like it could be New York fern because it appears that the frond tapers in width as it reaches the ground.

Sensitive fern can be a bit "aggressive" so whether you want it or not is just something you need to decide for yourself. I have brought some into my garden and so far it is ok, but I might think differently in 5-10 years, I don't know.

o

Thank you for the ID. I found this:

Threatened and Endangered Information:
Thelypteris noveboracensis (L.) Nieuwl.

This plant is listed by the U.S. federal government or a state. Common names are from state and federal lists. Click on a place name to get a complete protected plant list for that location.

Illinois:
New York fern Endangered
New York:
New York fern Exploitably Vulnerable
Can you explain what exploitably vulnerable means?

Anita

o

No, I have not heard that. I wonder if they meant the habitat is threatened?

Plenty of it down here! It's a fern that spreads around in favorable conditions.

o

Endangered: means that the overall population of the fern in the area of question is limited in distribution and is vulnerable to total loss. Generally this implies that there are relatively few populations even though each population may appear common locally such an occurrence is so limited as to infer that any loss of any existing population would emperil the species within the area of question: Illinois.

Exploitly vulnerable: means tht existing populations can be seriously decimated by commercial or individual collectors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here