Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
identify elongated colorful mushroom

Posted by new2zone9a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 10:25

Found this growing in my new garden in west central Florida this morning. Been here a year and this is the first I've seen it. We just had a week of hard rains. Temperature has ranged from the 70s to low 90s F. Last few days have been mostly overcast but sun is shining this morning, making this mushroom look like a glowstick. Exterior looks like a spongy substance and I think it must have popped out of a roundy structure which comes to just above ground. In picture it looks like a second one will pop out of its casing soon--see white object near colorful mushroom.

Any ideas? Stirfry?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: identify elongated colorful mushroom

That's one of the many stinkhorn mushrooms. Many of them seem to emerge from an egg-like structure. Most people complain about their odor, which ranges from pungent to horrid. The ones that I have experienced have a very strong dead animal stench.

o
RE: identify elongated colorful mushroom

stinkhorn. ha. i love it. thank you rhizo. mine must be a freshly showered variety. no smell at all that i noticed. i'm pretty sensitive to smells & i was up to it pretty close to get that photo. one more popped out the next day. this one was completely shriveled that night. they do not last long at all. only those two, haven't noticed another since.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here