Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dryopteris erythrosra help

Posted by auhort1990 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 11:11

I have some Autumn Fern that I need help with. These are located in a courtyard between a 6 story building and a 6 story parking deck. Some are in a very small bed that had drip irrigation and the rest are in 3 foot pots. The pots get water from overspray from pop up irrigation heads. The plants themselves get no direct sunlight because of the building and parking deck. The fronds start looking bleached out and turn brown. I have attached pictures some of which are not very good. Please help if you can with any suggestions. I realize I will have to replace some of these ferns but I want the new ones to survive.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dryopteris erythrosra help

I'm sorry no expert has chimed in to help you...I guess no one knows the answer to your problem. I have always found Autumn fern to be indestructable. Perhaps you are being too kind to them. They thrive in full sun with little water...be a little meaner and make your soil more free draining and leaner. Good luck.

o

Too much lime leaching from the cement (containers and wall/sidewalk)?

o

Could it be that the sun has changed its position and now these are getting the full wrath of direct rays? Other than that, there is not much detail regarding what is going on other than brown leaves. When the entire plant looks burned, it is usually a result of something phytotoxic in result. Perhaps an herbicide spray used on the lawn may have drifted, but I believe sun damage is the culprit. The ferns at the edge doesn't seem to be affected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here