Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tallest ferns for zone 6?

Posted by jeanne 6OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 11:52

I'm trying to make a garden that's completely hardy here in zone 6a that has a tropical feel. What are some larger ferns that grow well here? I have ostrich ferns and would like other ideas so I can have some variety. Thanks in advance!

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tallest ferns for zone 6?

For me, Thelypteris kunthii is quite tall and lush. Zone 6 seems to be the coldest it will tolerant. Here in Georgia is also the one that can tolerate the most sun as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thelypteris kunthii

o

Royal fern will grow to 6 feet or more if in sun and planted in a wet ditch. Interupted fern will grow in sun or shade to 3 to 4 feet depending on moisture. Cinnamon fern likes shade and good moisture and will grow to 3 or 4 feet. These three are all Osmundas. Then there are Goldies ferns, Spinulose wood ferns, Marginal wood ferns, Silvery spleenworts, Lady ferns, all of which grow large if in their favorite habitats, less tall under less favorable conditions. These and many others are native to the Northeast, hardy, love shade, moist woodsy soil, rocks and slopes.
Marianne (Gnomlet)

o

Ostrich Fern has some larger cultivars. Easy to grow, and the better the conditions, the larger it grows.

Dixie Woodland Fern, Dryopteris X "Australis", grows 3' and reported up to 5', seems like one of the largest without being grown in a borderline swamp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here