Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calla_lady

Hoping to Id this Lycopodium.....

calla_lady
16 years ago

I found this cutie growing in a local orchid greenhouse. I've been unable to pin a species name on it and am hoping that perhaps somebody in this forum might have a suggestion.

{{gwi:609523}}

It is very petite and grows in a typical tassle form. For scale here is a picture of it next to Lycopodium squarosum-

{{gwi:609524}}

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you, Alicia

Comments (12)

• gardenguru1950
    16 years ago

Lycopodium phlegmaria?

Joe

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Alicia,
    I think it is a squarrosum as well.
    Check the link below as Mr. Alford is the only person I know of in the USA that has any tropical Lycopodiums for sale and so whatever you find probably has came from his greenhouses at one time or another.

Here is a link that might be useful: CharlesAlford Plants

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Terrestrial Man, maybe L. squarrosum but it is really tiny compared to my other various squarrosums. The tassels are just a 1/4" wide - but may be a supspecies.
    I did pick the brain of the gentleman that is growing them in his orchid greenhouse and he said that it came back many, many, many years ago from a plant collecting trip. He was trying to remember but thought maybe it was from South America. This man has some pretty cool plants that are just labeled as "species" as he has never found species names.
    I tried contacting Mr. Alford last year through his website with no luck (email was returned), but since you mentioned it I think that I might try again. Perhaps I'll have better luck this time.
    I am finding out that there are so many of these Lycopodiums that trying to ID the species on this one may not be possible. Just figured it was worth a shot as it is always nice to know what kind of conditions best suit it. I've been growing them in 3 different areas to see what brings out the best growth. So far it seems to have responded very well to the warm humid gh with very low light.
    I did locate a pic of the mother plant it is the Lycopodium on the right. I think that the one on the left is L. phlegmaria.
    Thank you both again for the help!

{{gwi:609525}}

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Actually you may be able to pin down the species. there are apparently only 54 in the world. Check the below link and each species has information on its distribution.
    Perhaps if you can google images on those species that fAll into the tropical south america area and such images exist you may run across what you are looking for????

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Lycopodium species of the world

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terrestrial Man, thank you for that link to the Lyco. list,,,lots of possibilities to go through there.

Lately I've been cruising images of Lycopodiums (dangerous,,,the wishlist just keeps growing :~) when I'm stuck on the phone at work. Today I came across Huperzia (Lycopodium) acerosa at it really looks like a possibility. It is from Costa Rica so the location fits. The photo shown on this page also has that same "wispy" texture as my plants. I'll have to spend a bit more time searching out more photos to compare to. Gotta love a mystery!
    There are some neat looking Lycopodiums pictured on this link.
    Ahhh, so many plants to love and learn about and sooo little time, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diversity of Life

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Maybe this will help: a list of the Costa Rican species:

From Family Lycopodiaceae, genus Huperzia: world species list
    by Michael Hassler and Brian Swale.
    http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/fern/huperzia1.htm

Huperzia acerosa
    Huperzia attenuata
    Huperzia bradeorum
    Huperzia brevifolia
    Huperzia capillaris
    Huperzia chamaeleon (endemic)
    Huperzia chiricana (localized to Volcan Turrialba)
    Huperzia costaricensis
    Huperzia crassa
    Huperzia cuneifolia
    Huperzia curvifolia var. parvifolia
    Huperzia dichaeoides
    Huperzia dichotoma
    Huperzia eversa
    Huperzia filiformis
    Huperzia foliosa
    Huperzia funiformis
    Huperzia goudotii
    Huperzia hippuridea
    Huperzia hoffmannii
    Huperzia homocarpa
    Huperzia linifolia
    Huperzia mesoamericana
    Huperzia mollicoma
    Huperzia myrsinites
    Huperzia pflanzii
    Huperzia pithyoides
    Huperzia polycarpos
    Huperzia reflexa
    Huperzia reflexa var. minor Huperzia subulata
    Huperzia talamancana
    Huperzia taxifolia
    Huperzia tenuis
    Huperzia tubulosa
    Huperzia verticillata (widespread and into Africa)
    Huperzia watsoniana
    Huperzia wilsonii

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you T.M. - I will be sifting through those names! Your help is most appreciated!
    Alicia :~)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

I have L.squarrosum growing outdoors here in the bay area. As you have said the warmest,humid location+ NEVER allow to dry out is all that is required. Very delicate plants-you even have to water almost daintily to avoid disturbing the roots-they must in the wild get gentle trickle down water. And are magnets for slugs. Mine is now baited for slugs like the security at fort knox.
    Right now its growing in orchid mix with nice trailing growth..i'm thinking of putting oak bark under that growth.

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Always nice to get growing feedback and especially so from local folks Stanofh, thank you!
    When I get a new plant that is not hardy I always try to make cuttings/ divisions (if possible) A.S.A.P. and eventually try growing things in several different environments to see how they respond.

Our summertime climate can be extreme with warm, dry daytime temps in the 80's or above and nights down to 40 if the fog doesn't come in (a whole new set of temps there!). I am growing L. sqarossum (just for summer as our winter temps go down to the low 20's between rain), and in a warm greenhouse with higher humidity and warmer nighttime temps. The L. squarrosums in both of those locations seem to be growing about the same now. At this time I am only growing the more tropical Lycos in the greenhouse until I propagate some to test the summer boundaries (getting the humidity up is the challenge). I am always pushing those zone boundaries which sometimes reveal neat surprises (and sometimes not).

• harrywitmore
    16 years ago

I grow a number of tropical Lycopodium species with mixed results. L squarrosum seems to be the easiest and if given high humidity needs little water. I have had no luck propigating from cuttings although I know folks that do. I think Charles Alford is most likely the most skilled at this.

• calla_lady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey there Harry, good to hear from you! The lovely L.squarrosum that you sent me last year is doing great. It is really starting to put on some growth from the base and filling out the basket.
    I've got a couple of other lyco cuttings set up in my propagating area that were sent to me 4 months ago. The cuttings still look alive however my last check for roots (maybe a month ago) revealed nothing yet. I know a grower up north a bit that roots his L. squarrosum in sphagnum very successfully. Seems to be a fair amount of trial and error in this process.

• jesandoval_ucdavis_edu
    13 years ago

Hello All,
    I read most of this discussion and would like to offer a little of what I've gleaned from propagating Lycopodium. For the species I've worked with, pretty much only tips will form roots since I hear that the roots originate near the apex of shoot tips.

Calla lady, did you ever get a final ID on that plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ernesto Sandoval

Sponsored