Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ostrich Fern

Posted by allandale 3b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 14:46

I recently planted roots purchased at nursery and while new growth started within a few days, it does not appear normal. Most fronds are growing horizontally from crown and are twisted and warped. At time of purchase there were some stunted-looking stalks that had been sheared back, but I assumed this was due to packing conditions. However, all of the new growth appears the same.I was careful selecting culture and soil medium and there is no evidence of disease or rot. It's possible that a commercial fertilizer used on nearby plants, strayed to the ferns, but no other products have been used. Could it be that I planted the roots in the wrong position? Any suggestions would be welcome

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ostrich Fern

If the fronds are not growing vertically the crown might not be oriented correctly. The stalks that you mention should be pointing upward. Another possibility is that the shoots tips were physically damaged and you will need to wait for the plant to create new ones, assuming it has enough stored energy. Even those deformed leaves may be able to undergo some photosynthesis so leave them be. Otherwise just keep them moist and hope for the best. Bare-root plants purchased from nurseries often take considerable abuse before they are lucky enough to find their way back into the ground.

o
RE: Ostrich Fern

Thanks for the suggestions. New growth appears to be vertical and healthy so I think your advice about damaged shoot tips was right on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here