Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could these be shitake

Posted by mousekabob 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 15:19

Ok, experimented with some substrata and some shitake plugs a few months ago. Miserable failure, lots of mold, so I tossed them in the compost pile. These started coming up a week or so ago. Didn't think much of it. But, could they be shitake? I know the spent oyster mushroom blocks I tossed on teh pile fruited, but those are much easier to identify.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could these be shitake

NOT shitake. We have two successful mushroom farmers in the area, and they put the spore plugs between the bark and cambrium of oak logs, later plunge into icy water for x# of hours to force the fruiting. You really need to research and follow the exactness to get fruiting sh'rooms.

o

I tried doing the mushroom thing a few times, never got anything out of it. That's why I look for wild mushrooms instead, much less frustrating!

o

Those look like some kind of Lepiota, which could be anything from dealy to delicious. But they definitely aren't shiitake. I saw some very similar a day or two ago growing from a stump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here