Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerbrackob

moss/some green & lots brown/alive or dead?

flowerbrackob
18 years ago

This moss took three days to transplant piece by tiny piece. I see where it's in shaded areas of course it's greener; but the sun at 90 degrees is playing havoc on the other 1/3 of the garden. At one time for a few yrs. in fact there was lots of moss and I didn't even know where it came from! I have a lovely plantation of liverwort with tiny little trees sprouting and love it however. Anyhow how long does it take for the transplants to "take hold"? It looks like tiny little ferns growing don't know the kind it is; some of it has very fine red hairs sprouting I'm assuming it's the spores. Should I be somehow spreading these red spores around; if so how to do it please? Some tell me it's rock moss because of the red sprouts; but others don't think so cause of the ferny looking growths. Any advice/help/comments are more than welcome.

Comments (6)

• paalexan
    18 years ago

I don't suppose you could put up a picture of the moss? Different mosses act differently, and some will never be very happy in full sun. It's also worth mentioning that common names aren't always very useful with mosses--I don't have any idea what plant "rock moss" is supposed to refer to, so there'd be no way for me to tell you if that's the plant you've got.

Anyways... from your description the best I can guess is that you've probably got one of the species usually called "fern moss", in the genus Thuidium. I've never seen anything in this genus growing naturally in full sun, so if that's what you've got I suspect you'll have trouble getting it to do well in the sunny parts of your garden. In general, the mosses that grow well in full sun are going to need more water in order to do so, so in many areas trying to get moss going in full sun just isn't really worthwhile. You can do it, just might take a lot of water, or be limited to low spots that naturally collect water.

Regarding spore dispersal--spores of mosses are usually dispersed by the wind. This seems to work quite well, so there shouldn't be an need for you to help the process along. Generally speaking, spores get just about everywhere and if the habitat's right they'll grow. This means, for instance, if you've got an area the mosses don't colonize on their own, odds are it's just not a good place for mosses to grow.

Patrick Alexander

• judithjane
    18 years ago

Sympathy for your brown moss. I agree with Patrick on the cause and type of moss. One other thing for you to consider is a fungus infection. I spent this morning pulling up half a trash bag of Dicranum moss that 2 days ago was like beautiful thick green fur. Oh well, typical summer heat + heavy rain + brown patch fungus = dead moss. Once it turns brown, it's dead and the only way to stop the spread is to remove it. That's why transplanting in cool weather is safer. Water and 90 degrees is fungus growing weather. My moss garden is actually safer in the summer during a drought. Thuidium doesn't get brown patch, but another fungus that turns it bronze. Sometimes it survives and regenerates from underneath. If it's not bronze but a light brown it might improve it you move it a shadier location. It's really not a good moss for sun. Eurhynchium does OK in the South with half day morning sun & might do even better for you in zone 4. Also any of the mosses you find in lawns that get sun would be good candidates.
    Best wishes....jjane

• flowerbrackob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Kids; I found my note of the type of moss I must have:
    Dicranum moss's description states that it has tiny hairs that are the spores and are red. So I'm hoping that when the cool weather of fall arrives it may revive; I don't believe it's a fungus as it's all transplanted from the same source and there's a lot of green in the better shaded places and even some scant spots among the brown transplants. Perhaps my error was placing small pieces not larger clumps; but I had to weed the grass etc. out after slicing the thin layer off, before placing it down onto the ruffed up ground, and this required breaking it apart in several places. Patience is not one of my long suits.....Do Appreciate your comments and help immensely.....Jaemy.

• judithjane
    18 years ago

Hi Jaemy,
    Dicranum actually does better transplanted in small (quarter-sized)pieces than in big ones where the center sometimes dies. However I'm not sure you have Dicranum. Can't relate it to the fern description. Check the link below for a good photo. This Southern Illinois University web site might be usful to you. Check the top tab IMAGES for more moss ID photos plus other info on the site.

Hope things go well for you....jjane

Here is a link that might be useful: Dicranum photo

• megan0217
    16 years ago

Where did you guys get the dicranum moss? Does anyone know where to buy moss spores?

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Try T & C for a sub tropical species of Diacranum
    http://www.tandcterrariums.com/
    It tends to be a seasonal item
    This moss is not for growing outdoors in colder climates
    but could handle some nights into the low 40s (my guestimate-have not grown enough to conduct experiments with YET!).