Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you do?

Posted by lilbluyze 7a-7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 16:24

What do you do to assure your soil hols adequate moisture for your ferns? The soil in my garden is fairly clay like and it isn't holding enough moisture for my fern. There's plenty of shade for it. I hate to dig it up to ammend the soil. I am hoping to be able to put something around it, in or on top of the soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you do?

Break out that shovel!

o

I only plant ferns where I won't have to water them, in order to save water.

o

Well, you could start by adding bark mulch and pine/fir needles atop the soil around the fern. This helps a bit. When I plant ferns, I use hydro gel in the hole.

Some folks will actually plant the fern in a perforated container (which will concentrate moisture) that can be buried in the ground.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here