Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new fern

Posted by california_dreamin 28547 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 17:37

This is my first and only fern I have ever had. I have it in a pot on my shaded porch. Is this the best place for it? I am in North Carolina. Very hot and humid now, so i water it every day. Anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new fern

Do you know what kind of fern it is? A shaded porch is best since they don't do well in sunlight, but it may not need water every day.

Some kinds do well indoors, if you have the name, we can let you know if you can keep it indoors.

o

I don't know the name, but here is what it looks like.

o

Nephrolepis, perhaps N.biserrata.

Rgds

o

Looks like the Nephropelis that's called the "macho fern". It's really hardy and easy to grow, and is hard to kill. It will get quite a lot larger than that. You can keep it where it is, or put it in a hanging basket, or bring it inside, which I think you'll have to do for the winter. I can grow it outside where I am (Houston). Here's a pic of one of mine, and another fern (and I forgot its name). I've had both for a couple of years now, and just repotted the macho yesterday. The fronds are more than 2 ft. long, and it will get quite a bit fuller, now that it has room to grow.

o

I'm thinking you might not need to water every day. The humidity might keep it from drying out so fast. Do you stick your finger in the soil to see if it's dry before watering?

o
ID question

Hey there fern people, what is the difference between a western sword fern and a southern sword fern? They all look the same to me. I must have the western one because I am west, but I don't know what they are because they grew like weeds from nowhere. Some of them seem to be ailing sometimes. I may be doing something to them they don't like. But, then they kind of grow out of the ailing. I have not killed one yet, but two of them failed to transplant when they were small. Some of them get a sort of black marks on the fronds and then they fail to grow new fronds and appear stunned sometimes. Maybe I fed them wrong, but I used dyna grow foliage. Maybe I used too much?

Here is a link that might be useful: sword ferns

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here